Tuesday, February 3, 2009

What A Beautiful Morning!

While yesterday felt like the day that would never end, today feels wonderful.  As family knows, Mom went to the hospital yesterday morning with a heart rate well over 200.  Newell called us at 4:45 Monday morning to let us know he had taken Mom in the during the night.  I got a sub and went to the hospital.  Mom was looking good by then.  Her heart rate was down in the 80s.  The Doctor wanted to send her to a heart specialist in Provo or Orem.  He picked a Doctor that makes visits to Roosevelt about once a month.  Mom did not want to go.  The Doctor told her he needed her to go to the specialist because he could do an angiogram and check out her heart to make sure it was OK or if it needed repair work.  Mom thought she would just go home and make the appointment at her convenience.  (I think she figured she just would not make the appointment.  She went to one specialist that she hated and swore she would never go again.)  We told her she wasn't going home that she was going by ambulance to Orem that morning.  She said, "Oh no I can't go.  I am not cleaned up.  I don't even have any clean clothes to wear."  


I told Mom that maybe Bryan or Liz might get to take her to Orem.  The nurse came in later and said, "Did I hear that you have a preference as to which EMTs you would like to have take your Mother to Orem?"  We said yes, Liz Richens and Bryan Perkins.  So the hospital called them.  I called Bryan and asked if he had been paged out on a ambulance run to Orem.  He said, "Yes, who am I taking?"  I told him it was Grandma.   

As soon as Liz showed up Mom was ready to go.  She started to get up out of her chair to walk to the ambulance.  I told her no sit down that Bryan was not there yet and they would be giving her a ride to the ambulance.

I went back to the school and asked my sub if he could take my class on Tuesday.  He said yes and I went to get the lesson plans ready for the next day.

I went to Orem by myself.  I was the first to arrive.  They told me the angiogram was to start at 5:00 PM.   They took Mom up a little before 5.  Sherril arrived just as they were taking her up.  Debbie came while we were still waiting for doctor to work his magic.  

Oh Mom wanted to watch the procedure.  The Doctor told them that anyone that had lived as long as she had should get to do whatever she wants.  He said there would be no pain and she was welcome to watch.  

I think the angiogram was done by about 5:30.  The doctor wanted to talk to us so the nurse took us to the room where the procedure was done.  Mom was still on the table.  The Doctor showed us the pictures of her heart.  We got to watch the blood pump through her heart and veins.  It was really neat to watch the heart fill with blood and then pump out.  The doctor said her heart was clean and predicted that she would live another 10 years.  We asked what was wrong and what had caused her to have the fast heart beat.  He told us she had a extreme case of TMB.  We asked what that was.... To Many Birthdays.  Her heart just isn't working like it use to.  The Doctor said she could go home in two hours but because of her age and the distance we had to travel he would suggest that she stay in the hospital overnight.

She was back downstairs by the time Newell arrived.  Reed and Ken got there a while after that. It was good to see Mom laughing and joking.  Her heart rate after the procedure was in the 60's.  

Mom will be home today.


2 comments:

Jana Perkins said...

I'm so relieved she is fine. We were thinking about her and praying for her all day. Even Tyler added her to his bedtime prayer. Can't wait to see her and hug her.

Mar~ said...

Thanks for putting all of this on here. I did not know all of the details and I am glad to read them.
What a wonderful woman! I am so glad that she is doing better, I love that heart of hers.