I don't know why I can't pick something of interest to blog about but I can't. So here goes a blog about nothing. I should have blogged about our fabulous vacation to Yellowstone. But I didn't. Maybe I will in the next blog. Or I could blog about my scout camp. I was on staff at Akela's Council which was held at Camp Tifie by Mt Pleasant. Or I could blog about the flag retirement ceremony I went to with David at Spanish Fork. That was awesome. But no I am blogging about my run in with a scalpel. Not nearly as interesting as the other events that have happened this summer.I have had a hernia for about 3 years now. The Dr. finally scared me into having it taken care of this summer. So I set up the operation for the Monday following my scout camp experience. I was actually so scared on Sunday that I asked Joe for a blessing. I kept wondering if I would wake up to see Joe or my Mom and Dad. Nothing against my Mom and Dad but I really wanted to wake up to Joe. I felt much better after the blessing. And as you can tell I woke up to see Joe. The surgery went well and the Dr. came in and told me I could go home that same day if I met three criteria. The nurse gave me some pain medication and told me I had to be able to hold food down, get up and walk around, and go to the bathroom. So I did. On the way home we stopped at the pharmacy and Joe went in to get my prescription. When he got back to the car he told me that I had some good medication because he had to show his drivers license to get it. I took the medication for a couple of days and then decided that the medication was giving me a headache that was worse than the pain in my side so I stopped taking that. I really have not had any pain since.
I have walked every day since the surgery. The first few days were pretty funny. I just walked to the river. Talk about a slow walk. Joe, who is a slow walker, had to wait for me. Just before my surgery I was walking a 17 minute mile. I want to get to a 15 minute mile. Don't think I will make it before school starts. I would like to walk in the UBIC 5K but not sure I am up to it yet. I also want to be able to walk in the school district 5K just before school starts. I might be able to do that.
There are so many things I would like to be able to do but I can't lift anything over 15 lbs. or do anything strenuous for another 4 week. Which is really hard because I feel like I could do some things that I really should not be doing. I will start to grab something heavy and then I think, "Wait a minute, do I really want another hernia?" The answer is always no so I back off. I know as I heal more I will be tempted to do more than I should. I will just have to keep reminding myself that I really don't want to go through this again!
I have to admit that my son David has been my God send. He is so willing to do anything I ask him to do. Sweep, mop, vacuum, tote laundry, cut weeds, mow lawn, water the yard. I name it and he does it without grumbling. Thanks David for being here when I needed you.
Now I am looking forward to a family reunion this coming week. I can hardly wait to see all my children, their spouses, and of most importance the grandchildren. It will be great. I think we will have a great time.
4 months ago



1 comment:
Hi there,
I am just checking in after a long absence. I hope you are doing well and that you have recovered.
Post a Comment