I was reading about my mom taking speech classes from Miss Greene in the old Roosevelt High School. Those speech classes not only helped her but they helped me. Mom learned several things in her speech class.
1. Look into the eyes of the audience.
2. Never read an article but tell it because the audience would pay attention.
Mom felt like she would never have been able to get up in front of a public group if it hadn't been for those classes in high school. She passed those lessons on to me. Now, I can get up in front of any audience and give a talk or teach a lesson. Mom added a third lesson when she taught me to speak in public.
3. Don't chew gum while you talk. She would say, "You will look like a cow chewing it's cud." She was right of course.
Today in church I watched the payback for those lessons learned some 74 years ago at the old Roosevelt High School. Mom taught Sunday School until about a year ago. One of the girls from the class that is away at school now came up to Mom after Church and threw her arms around her and told her how much she loved having her as a teacher. You can't tell me that the Lord didn't know that was going to happen. Think of that. The Lord knew Mom would need the confidence those lessons gave her some 70 years before. He also knew she would pass the lesson on to me.
4 months ago



2 comments:
I agree with the no chewing gum thing. I remember sitting in a Sunday School lesson once and I was so distracted by the way the teacher was talking because he had gum in his mouth that I got nothing out of the lesson.
You know just as well as I do that when you follow the tips that Grandma gives you for giving a talk I turns out to be a good talk. I remember those tips every time I give a talk. While I am on that subject Les and I are giving a talk in Sacrament meeting tomorrow.
Post a Comment