Jana's story about her grandmother inspired me. I want to tell some of the things that I think about or that I think are important in my life.
I was thinking the other day about a song by Donny and Marie. It says "I'm a little bit country, I'm a little bit rock and roll." Just like two different types of music inside I often have two different feelings. Sometimes within myself I feel a little bit Nephi and sometimes a little bit Laman and Lemuel. What I want to know is how to become more like Nephi and less like Laman and Lemuel? What am I willing to give up to make my heart more receptive to the teachings of the prophets and to Jesus Christ? I was reading 1 Nephi 2:16, 19 What did Nephi do to have a receptive heart? He desired to learn, he cried unto the Lord, he listened to the spirit, he had a soft heart, and he had faith. In Sunday school Uncle Reed says we need to be reading the scriptures for an hour every day. What am I willing to give up to make that hour? Would my Laman and Lemuel pop out and tell me I don't have time to study for an hour each day? Knowing me--Probably. I really think it would be difficult to get an hour in each day. But I have learned one thing in life. If something is really important then it is more difficult to fit it into your day. Satan would never want anyone to be studying the scriptures. It would take power away from him. But isn't that what we want? President Hinckley promised us that if we read the Book of Mormon we would receive an added measure of his spirit. We would have a strengthened resolution to be obedient to His commandments. We would develop a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God. What could be more important than that?
My resolve is to read and study the Book of Mormon every day. I don't care how long I study just that I study. My request to each of my children and grandchildren is that they too study the Book of Mormon this year. I don't care how long you take each day but just do something each day. Well so much for my blog for the day. Just do it!
4 months ago



1 comment:
I love your blog's new look and I'm humbled to know my post got you thinking about this subject. I will take your challenge and start reading the Book of Mormon more each day.
Here is a quote I have posted up in my mirror that helps me keep doing what I need to do: "That which we persist in doing becomes easy to do; not that the nature of the thing has changed, but that the power to do has increased."
Post a Comment