Sunday, March 1, 2009

Scripture Power

I listen to part of a talk given on KBYU this morning.  I did not catch who the sister was nor who she was taking to.  It sounded like a woman's conference or Relief Society broadcast.  The sister could have been a one of the Relief Society General Presidency.  I really didn't look.  But here is what I heard that I really liked.  She was talking about teaching our children the scriptures.  One young mother would pick a scripture story for the week and would talk about some scripture words that the child would need to know one day.  The next day she might have the child color a picture of the story that the mother had found in a primary lesson on the Internet, as she told the story in simple terms.  Another day they would find the story in the child's scriptures and put stickers on the page as the mother told the story.  Another day they would look the story up in the child's scriptures and with the help of his mother he would tell the story.  By the end of the week he was telling the story on his own.   Of course there were days that life got in the way of this mother teaching her child from the scriptures but she felt that something was better than nothing.


I couldn't help but think what a wonderful lesson this mother was teaching as she made the scriptures a daily part of her son's life.  

No comments: