Friday, November 12, 2010

Gratitude for the Lord's Hand in All Things OR Promptings of the Spirit

Monday was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. I would have liked to have gone to Australia. (Or so that is what the book by that title says.) At any rate I have to tell you about that stressful Monday. Besides teaching school, I had to make sure all my grades were in so report cards could be run and prepare for Parent/Teacher conferences the next two nights. I was preparing for the Veteran's Day program. (I wonder who will take over when I retire?) I was teaching a song to the students before school each morning, I had some cleanup to do on a power point for Veteran's Day, I had a PLC meeting after school, I had to run to Vernal to pick up badges for our cub scouts, I had to be in Vernal before the scout office closed at 4. My PLC meeting did not end until 2:50, it is a 40 - 45 minute drive just to get to Vernal, if the traffic is good, plus the time it takes to cross town. Would I make it before the office closed?

As I left town, the thought came to mine that I should obey the speed limit. So I did. I topped the hill going into Vernal at 3:30. Now if I could only get across town without hitting all the red lights. Again the thought came to me that I should obey the speed limit. I did. I drove all the way across town without hitting one red light! Not only that I made a left turn at an intersection without a light and did not have to stop for traffic. At the next corner I needed to make a right turn. The car coming into the intersection was signaling for a right turn and began to make the turn. The thought came to mind to wait. I waited. The driver changed her mind at the last second and came on through the light. I walked into the scout office at 3:40. I had 20 minutes to buy what I needed. I walked out of the scout office with badges in hand at 4:05.

(I know you are wondering what was so bad about my day. It sounds pretty wonderful so far. That is what I thought too.)

Then I stopped at Lowe's to buy some nuts and bolts. I realized I had forgotten my shopping list so I took out a pen and paper and wrote down what I remember needing. As I was getting things out of my purse I realized that my phone was in the cup holder by my seat. I thought, "You better not leave that there." I left it there. There is where my day went from stressfully busy to terrible, horrible, no good, very bad! As I was preparing to leave the store I could not find my keys. Not only that but my cell phone was in the truck. I asked if I could use the store phone. They kindly said yes. I called Joe who was in Roosevelt. He went home then back to Vernal to bring me a key. Then I called my sister who came and picked me up. She fed me dinner while we waited for Joe. (Bless her heart.)

When Joe got there we opened the truck and promptly found my keys. Guess where? Under the cell phone! The one and only time that day I had not obeyed the prompting of the spirit and look what it cost me!

When we got back home I still needed to go back to work and run my report cards. So at around 8PM I prepared to run cards. I opened the program to look over my cards before printing and what should I discover? NO GRADES!! We are using a program a little different from last year and I had no idea what to do. A prompting came again. It was to re-enter all the grades. I looked at the clock and thought I will be here until midnight. Then the thought came to enter them in a different place than I normally would have. Well, I did enter most of them. By 10:30 PM I decided my kids didn't need any more grades! I printed the cards and went home. I finished working on a power point and fell asleep on the couch because I didn't want to wake up to get dressed for bed.

While the rest of the week was still stressful, it felt like a breeze after Monday. I told Joe if the day hadn't been so funny I would have been bawling. As it was all I could do was laugh about it. The Lord's hand is in all things. He does give us promptings of the spirit. Those promptings need to be obeyed.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow! It is something that all know but sometimes putting it into practice is hard. It is something I am working on. Love you mom!

Mar~ said...

This is quite the experience!
I have had these learning experiences too.
However, in reading it, I thought it was a blessing that my mom lives so close and maybe there was a reason you needed to end up there for dinner, maybe for her? I don't know...
Sorry it made things so stressful for you.
You are such a wonderful lady.

Eric and Caralee said...

Thank You for a great post, I always need reminded! :) Caralee

Papa and Mama said...

Actually I need reminding all the time too. You'd think as I get older I would get wiser.