I was in charge of our school's Veteran's Day program--as usual. I had some things in mind from last year. Like I wanted the 5th grade to recite the poem "In Flanders Fields." Then I heard the meaning of the "Star-Spangled Banner" at a cub scout pow-wow and wanted to use that as part of my program. Then one of the local veterans asked if I had ever read the meaning of the 13 folds of the flag. I thought that would be great to see the flag folded as the meaning of each fold was read. While ideas were floating around in my head the time to prepare of the program was fast approaching. My sister-in-law gave me some ideas for music. We decided to teach the kids "We Remember" and "Thank You Military."
We decided to teach the songs before school. Our bus students get to school half an hour before school starts. They have to go into the gym before school and either eat breakfast or wait for the teacher on duty to take them outside. We sort of have a captive audience until it is time for them to go out. I had a group of boys giving me a hard time one morning. They preferred performing the 'wave' to singing. I just told them that singing was their ticket to get to go outside. One little guy wasn't singing so I asked him if he was going to sing solo while his friends went outside. When he found out what solo meant he started to sing. I have to admit that when push came to shove the kids preformed very well.
Over the years I have asked the Veterans to take care of the flag ceremony and the moment of silence. Sometimes they came looking a bit rag-tag. This year they looked very sharp. I think it is great that we can honor these men and women for their service that has changed lives is so many drastic ways. Thank you military!
I had one guy tell me that it was the best program yet. Shoot, how do I top that? Any ideas?
4 months ago



2 comments:
Your Veterans Program is one thing that I really miss about being gone from the Basin. You always do such a good job, makes everyone proud.
We wish we could have been there. Les celebrates Veterans Day like it is his own personal holiday. He loves it more than Christmas.
We love you! We know you will be able to come up with something good for next year. You always do.
Post a Comment