Sunday, February 10, 2008

When Prayers Seem Unanswered

I was listening to a talk on KBYU by Michael Wilcox entitled "When Prayers Seem Unanswered. I learned something new.

Many times I read scriptures as a story and forget to look for the underlying message. Brother Wilcox calls this message "Tight like unto a dish." You can probably see where this is heading. Go to Ether 2:17. How many times does the Lord use the words "tight like unto a dish?" I count 5 times. Whenever the Lord repeats something it is important. So why did the barges need to be tight like a dish? go to verse 24. "...for the mountain waves shall dash upon you."

Sometimes as we pray to our Father in Heaven we are in the middle of a great storm. The waves of adversity are crashing all around us. We think the Lord either doesn't hear us, doesn't want to hear us, or he isn't there. That is not true. How did the Lord make our barges? Tight like unto a dish. The Lord knew before we ever came to Earth there would be storms to test and try us, but he helped us build our barges tight like a dish so that when the waves of the sea came crashing down upon us the Lord could bring us up out of the depths of the sea.
...If ye are prepared ye shall not fear. D&C 38:30

May our barges ever be tight like unto a dish.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Sometimes it seems that my barge is leaky. That is when I need to slow down and head for shallow waters for repairs. When I take on too much the water swallows me up. Thank you for sharing that with us.