Sunday, December 2, 2012

Tender Mercy 8

Today Bro. D bore his testimony.  I always get a little nervous when he does because I am never sure what is going to come out of his mouth.  And today we had a large crowd of visitors.  What would they think?  Well, I got a pleasant surprise.  While not a testimony, Bro. D gave a most wonderful talk.  He talked of the blessings that came into his life through serving in World War I.  He told of the blessings of growing up on an Idaho farm where he sat on a board to milk the cow while being slapped in the face by a frozen wet cow tail.

Most would not consider these things to be blessings but as Bro. D spoke I couldn't help but think of my own childhood, growing up on a farm, getting up early to weed the garden, doing yard work, learning to cook, driving the tractor or truck while my brothers hauled hay or fed the cows, caring for the animals as we fed the pigs, cared for bummer lambs and feeding the chickens.  Those were blessings in my life.

Remembering my roots has been a tender mercy.

No comments: