Sunday, November 9, 2008

Gratitude # 9

I always wonder if my grandchildren will like me.  I know that sounds selfish and I hope you will understand my next statement.  As a child I felt like my grandmother did not really like children.  She seemed to want us to know that children should be seen and not heard.  It was not until I typed up my grandmother's history to give to my children that I really came to understand my grandmother.  It was not that she did not like children, it was that she did not know what childhood was.  She had to grow up at a very early age.  I felt like she never had a childhood.  As a result, I want my grandchildren to know that I love and care about them.  I want them to know that I think they are important and special.  I want them to like me in return.  I guess I think if they like me then I know I have done my job of letting them know that they are loved.


Kruz is my 9th grandchild.  After his birth I told my Mother that Jennifer and Kelly were going to name him Kruz.  She said, "Oh Kruz was Kelly's Great-grandfather's name.  He was such a nice man."  I felt good to know that Mom knew Grandpa Kruz and liked him.  I couldn't help but think that perhaps Grandpa Kruz was looking down on earth and smiling as he saw little Kruz in the arms of his family.

Kruz always gives me the feeling that I am his good friend.  When he sees me his face lights up and he calls out "Grandma!"   He likes to share his toys with me.  How much more could a grandmother ask for?  Kruz, I do love you!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Kruz is such a sweet boy! I watched him take care of Kolby when Kolby climbed on to the little bench in your basement. He wouldn't let anyone else near him. He sat there and made sure Kolby was safe. Too cute and oh so sweet.

Jen said...

This is so fun to read. I know I like my kids. Great to see others do too.